Pampered Pooches- Dogs Living in the Lap of Luxury
2. General Introduction
–According to the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) in 2012, 36.5 % of U.S. households own a dog. Owning a dog is a big responsibility and comes with many costs. This inforgraphic is not about those costs. This infograph will illustrate the amount of money individuals spend on their dogs for things other than food, and veterinary expenses. In the last ten years there has been an increase in “dog boutiques,” dog parks and businesses focused on dogs (doggy daycare, dog yoga etc). In 2011 the American Pet Products Association estimated the total U.S. pet industry expenditures would be above $50 billion dollars. The pet industry is booming even with current economic challenges.
3. Problem Identification
-The cause of this informational graphic is to inform the audience of the amount of money spent in the United States on dogs for products and services that many would consider non-essential. Digging through statistics and finding valid sources is one of the problems needed to be overcome. Also displaying the information in a meaningful way may also be a challenge.
– The amount of time/money spent on our pets, specifically dogs compared to years before. As well as the increase in the number of pet products, boarding facilities, daycare, etc in the last 10 years.
4. Analysis and Conclusion
– The goal of this informational graphic is to effectively illustrate the boom in the pet industry, notably in dog related fields.
-The purpose of visualizing this information is to inform and to entertain.
8. Pet industry
10. Understood/ easily navigated
5. Variables or Measurements Utilized Within Research
-Male and Females, early twenties and up. I think I may focus specifically on females. They seem to be more likely to buy the products/services I am investigating.
-Dog owner. Spends money on their pet other than regular expenses. Would find something like this entertaining and possibly informational. Interested in some of the topics presented and may want to explore them in more detail.
-My audience can be local or national. Research was focused on national trends as well as local businesses and statistics.
6. World View, Historical and Social Contexts
-I think this solution should illustrate the absurd amount of money that can be spent on a pet. I would also like to maybe get into the reasons why people feel they must spend that amount of money they do on their pets (time individuals have to take care of a pet, or the perceived time they have).
7. Positioning and Communication Strategy
– I would say that the primary purpose of this design is to entertain. Perhaps on some level it is also to inform the audience about the exuberant amount of money spent on things most people would not consider necessary. Maybe it will also get the viewer to ask the question, “What’s the point or is it necessary? Do dogs really care if they go to yoga or have fancy drinking water?”
– Man’s best friend a brief history
-Organic/ natural trends in pet products
– People companies going to the dogs
-Pet hotels, Yoga classes, massages, and day care (doggy day out).
-Dogs in the US vs Dogs abroad
– How these trends compare to trends 15-20 years ago
– Why? (what makes someone spend $$)
– Are dogs better off today then they were 10 years ago?
I would like to illustrate the variables using different graphs and illustrations I create in illustrator. Perhaps there will be some imported images?
8. Pragmatic Issues
– Some of the issues I have come across are obtaining information from valuable sources. Also sometimes the information that I have found includes other pets, not just dogs. I think illustrating the information in a way that effectively displays it and engages the viewer may be my biggest challenge.